DCB Bank vs South Indian Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
DCB Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers its Classic savings account for children through parents or guardians. South Indian Bank offers a dedicated account for students called the Junior Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from DCB Bank
DCB Bank, known previously as Development Credit Bank, does not offer a dedicated children’s account though its Classic account may be available for children through their parents or guardian.
Classic Savings Bank Account
This is the standard savings bank account from the bank.
- Accountholders need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 5,000 for Tier I branches and Rs. 2,500 for Tier 2 branches. This amount may be less for accounts opened on behalf of minors. Details of the same are not provided clearly on the bank website and as with such instances it may be a good idea to call and ask customer care at the numbers below
- The Classic Savings Bank Account offers payable at par cheque book
- Accountholders also get unlimited free access to all the bank’s ATMs and Visa ATMs in India, provided the account has an average monthly balance of Rs.10,000
- One of the key features seems to be free unlimited use of online transfers through RTGS and NEFT
- Account holders also get complimentary internet, phone and mobile banking facilities, through the access is likely to be limited for the child directly unless they have reached a certain age, as happens with most banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from South Indian Bank
South Indian Bank offers children and youth-centric accounts as well as savings accounts for women and senior citizens in addition to general savings accounts.
Junior Savings Account
This account is primarily meant for students.
- Children above the age of 10 years can open the account
- All they need is an introduction from the principal, head of department (for college) and a photo ID card. Other standard introduction measures also work
- The minimum amount needed to open this account is Rs. 10 though the minimum balance needed is Rs. 150. The bank gives a time of three months to take the balance to this level
- Chequebooks and online banking are made available when the child reaches the age of 18 years and keeps an average balance of Rs. 1,000
- The bank offers a complimentary ATM-debit card to kids having the Junior Savings Account
- Children with this account are eligible to apply for education loans from South Indian Bank
- DCB Bank Website: www.dcbbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 209 5363, 1800 123 5363
- South Indian Bank Website: www.southindianbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1809, 1800 102 9408