Dhanlaxmi Bank vs Kotak Mahindra Bank
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers the Dhanam Genius Savings Account in addition to its generic savings account for children. Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Dhanlaxmi Bank
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers a specific savings account for children called Dhanam Genius Savings Account. In addition, its Regular Savings Account can also be opened on behalf of minors.
Dhanam Genius Savings Account
The Dhanam Genius Savings Account is available for children in the age bracket of 10 to 23 years.
- The account only needs a minimum balance of Rs. 500
- Comes with an auto sweep facility that puts any amount in multiples of Rs. 1,000 in a fixed deposit for 30 days when the balance crosses Rs. 5,000. Nonetheless, accountholders can withdraw the amount at any point of time
- The Dhanam Genius Savings Account allows up to Rs. 5,000 in ATM withdrawals or POS transactions
- The bank offers complimentary ATM card and up to 2 NEFT or RTGS transactions as well as demand drafts or postal orders per month. Accountholders can get a personalised photo on the card for a payment of Rs. 200
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank comes with the following features.
- Needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Comes with a free chequebook and unlimited non-cash (POS, etc.) transactions
- The bank offers a doorstep banking service with this account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Website: www.dhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 0487 661 3000
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)