Federal Bank vs Bandhan Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults. Bandhan Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account but it does offer its standard savings account to minors.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bandhan Bank
Bandhan Bank is one of the most promising upcoming banks in India but it does not provide a dedicated children’s savings account. However, from a perusal of the account opening form, it appears the bank allows individuals to open and operate minor accounts. It also offers the option for minors above 10 years of age to open and maintain the account under their own name.
Standard Savings Account
Since it does not offer a dedicated children’s account (from a reading of the accounts in the bank’s website), here is a look at some features of the bank’s standard savings account.
- The account holder needs a monthly average balance of Rs. 5,000
- One can deposit up to Rs. 5 lakh for free per month
- Offers chequebook of 20 leaves per month for free which is more than the usual practice of offering one every quarter by most banks
- Offers 5 free withdrawals at ATMs of other banks
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199
- Bandhan Bank Website: www.bandhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 8181