Federal Bank vs Suryoday Small Finance Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults. Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
Children’s Savings Accounts from Suryoday Small Finance Bank
Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account and offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account. All of the bank’s savings accounts can be opened by a minor under a parent or a guardian. We take a look at the two base variants of the bank’s savings account line-up.
The account is the most basic of the savings accounts offered by Suryoday.
- The average monthly balance requirement is Rs. 2,000, though anyone choosing to open an account has to start with an initial deposit of Rs. 3,000
- Accountholders can choose to keep a fixed deposit of Rs. 10,000 in lieu of the minimum balance
- The bank offers a higher rate of interest than most other banks for similar slabs of balance. Accounts with balance up to Rs. 1 lakh earn 6.25% per annum and those with balance between Rs. lakh and Rs. 10 lakh earn 7.25%. This is as of March 2019
- The Savings Ujjwal account comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The daily ATM and POS limits is restricted to Rs. 20,000
- Online money transfers such as RTGS, NEFT, IMPS are chargeable after 3 transactions
- The bank offers a personal accident insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh with the account
This savings account is ranked one step up the Savings Ujjwal.
- The account has a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 and needs Rs. 7,500 to open the account
- Accountholders can create and keep an FD of Rs. 25,000 if they want to forego the minimum balance requirements
- The Savings Aditya account also comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The limit on daily ATM and POS transaction is pegged at Rs. 40,000
- Accountholders get 10 free ATM transactions on the bank’s own ATMs and up to 5 on other bank ATMs
- The accountholder can access up to 10 free RTGS, NEFT or IMPS payment transfers
- Like with the Ujjwal account, the Aditya offers a higher rate of interest
Note: Suryoday in its savings account page/tabs for each account clearly mentions that all bank’s savings accounts from Ujjwal to Savings Supreme can be opened on behalf of a minor
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank Website: www.suryodaybank.com
- Headquarters: Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 266 7711