HDFC Bank vs RBL Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
HDFC Bank offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account. RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account but instead may offer its generic savings account under guardianship of a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in the country in terms of market capitalisation as of September 2019, offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Kids Advantage Account
The primary aim of the account is to help build a corpus for the child for her future financial needs.
- The account is available for every child up to the age of 18 years
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 below which it charges service fees. The service fee is Rs. Rs. 150 in case the balance is between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 5,000, and Rs. 300 in case the balance is less than Rs. 2,500
- Minors above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account on their own
- HDFC Bank requires the parent or guardian to have a savings account with the bank before they can open a Kids Advantage Account
- The international ATM-cum-Debit card debit card comes with a Rs. 2,500 ATM withdrawal limit and Rs. 10,000 POS limit per day
- HDFC Bank also offers an education insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh for the child in case the parent or guardian passes away in a road, rail or air accident
- Its MoneyMaximizer option allows the accountholder to agree to a sweep-out option. Under this when the account reaches or crosses Rs. 35,000, any sum in excess of Rs. 25,000 is automatically transferred to a fixed deposit for 1 year and 1 day
- The accountholders get a free payable at par chequebook of 25 leaves at the time of account opening and every year thereafter
- The account comes with free net, phone and SMS banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from RBL Bank
RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account. We look at it standard savings account that like other banks that do not offer a specific children’s account is likely to be offered to minors through a parent or guardian.
Prime Savings Account
The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened on behalf of a minor by the parent or guardian.
- The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and comes with a minimum balance requirement of Rs. 5,000. Whether the same balance is required for minor account is not available on the site
- The minor account is closed on the child attaining majority and she has to submit KYC documents along with an account opening form to open a new account
- The account offers unlimited free transactions at RBL Bank ATMs and up to five complimentary transactions at other bank ATMs
- The account offers some of the best fixed deposit rates for banks in India
- RBL Bank offers wealth management options for its Prime Savings Account customers and it is likely to offer wealth growth options for its minor customers also
Note: The RBL Bank site has been designed for the mobile users and information is kept limited to perhaps enhance mobile user experience. It is suggested that you call the bank at the number below or visit the nearest branch if you are looking for more information on children’s or other accounts.
- HDFC Bank Website: www.hdfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 3838
- RBL Bank Website: www.rblbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 123 8040