HDFC Bank vs South Indian Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
HDFC Bank offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account. South Indian Bank offers a dedicated account for students called the Junior Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in the country in terms of market capitalisation as of September 2019, offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Kids Advantage Account
The primary aim of the account is to help build a corpus for the child for her future financial needs.
- The account is available for every child up to the age of 18 years
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 below which it charges service fees. The service fee is Rs. Rs. 150 in case the balance is between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 5,000, and Rs. 300 in case the balance is less than Rs. 2,500
- Minors above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account on their own
- HDFC Bank requires the parent or guardian to have a savings account with the bank before they can open a Kids Advantage Account
- The international ATM-cum-Debit card debit card comes with a Rs. 2,500 ATM withdrawal limit and Rs. 10,000 POS limit per day
- HDFC Bank also offers an education insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh for the child in case the parent or guardian passes away in a road, rail or air accident
- Its MoneyMaximizer option allows the accountholder to agree to a sweep-out option. Under this when the account reaches or crosses Rs. 35,000, any sum in excess of Rs. 25,000 is automatically transferred to a fixed deposit for 1 year and 1 day
- The accountholders get a free payable at par chequebook of 25 leaves at the time of account opening and every year thereafter
- The account comes with free net, phone and SMS banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from South Indian Bank
South Indian Bank offers children and youth-centric accounts as well as savings accounts for women and senior citizens in addition to general savings accounts.
Junior Savings Account
This account is primarily meant for students.
- Children above the age of 10 years can open the account
- All they need is an introduction from the principal, head of department (for college) and a photo ID card. Other standard introduction measures also work
- The minimum amount needed to open this account is Rs. 10 though the minimum balance needed is Rs. 150. The bank gives a time of three months to take the balance to this level
- Chequebooks and online banking are made available when the child reaches the age of 18 years and keeps an average balance of Rs. 1,000
- The bank offers a complimentary ATM-debit card to kids having the Junior Savings Account
- Children with this account are eligible to apply for education loans from South Indian Bank
- HDFC Bank Website: www.hdfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 3838
- South Indian Bank Website: www.southindianbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1809, 1800 102 9408