IDBI Bank vs HDFC Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me while HDFC Bank offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
Children’s Savings Accounts from HDFC Bank Limited
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in the country in terms of market capitalisation as of September 2019, offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Kids Advantage Account
The primary aim of the account is to help build a corpus for the child for her future financial needs.
- The account is available for every child up to the age of 18 years
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 below which it charges service fees. The service fee is Rs. Rs. 150 in case the balance is between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 5,000, and Rs. 300 in case the balance is less than Rs. 2,500
- Minors above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account on their own
- HDFC Bank requires the parent or guardian to have a savings account with the bank before they can open a Kids Advantage Account
- The international ATM-cum-Debit card debit card comes with a Rs. 2,500 ATM withdrawal limit and Rs. 10,000 POS limit per day
- HDFC Bank also offers an education insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh for the child in case the parent or guardian passes away in a road, rail or air accident
- Its MoneyMaximizer option allows the accountholder to agree to a sweep-out option. Under this when the account reaches or crosses Rs. 35,000, any sum in excess of Rs. 25,000 is automatically transferred to a fixed deposit for 1 year and 1 day
- The accountholders get a free payable at par chequebook of 25 leaves at the time of account opening and every year thereafter
- The account comes with free net, phone and SMS banking facilities
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070
- HDFC Bank Website: www.hdfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 3838