IDBI Bank vs UCO Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me while UCO Bank offers its UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme for children above 10 years of age.
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
Children’s Savings Accounts from UCO Bank
The bank offers the UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme for children above the age of 10 years.
UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme
The account allows kids to open and run a savings account without any need for joint ownership with parents or guardians.
- Any literate child above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- The kids get two chequebooks a year
- The ATM card is personalised with a photograph. Kids also get a good looking passbook
- Children can withdraw up to Rs. 3,000 per day subject to a limit of Rs. 15,000 per month through ATMs or net banking
- A key benefit of this UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme is the ability for children to undertake transactions through net banking after a certain period of time
- The bank also offers concessions for education loans
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070
- UCO Bank Website: www.ucobank.com and www.ucoebanking.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 274 0123