Indian Bank vs HDFC Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Indian Bank provides the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children and probably its standard savings account jointly with a parent or guardian. HDFC Bank offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Bank
The bank offers the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children and in all likelihood, its savings account also under the parent’s or guardian’s name as done by most banks though information on that is not clearly available in the website.
IB Smart Kid SB Account
The bank offers the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children who are only 1 day old to those below 18 years of age.
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 100 for accounts without chequebooks and Rs. 250 for those that have chequebooks
- Kids above 10 years are eligible to have their own debit card provided the parent or guardian agrees to the issue of the card
- The child also gets access to the online account if the parent or guardian provides her consent
- Interest is credited quarterly in the months of January, April, July and October
Children’s Savings Accounts from HDFC Bank Limited
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in the country in terms of market capitalisation as of September 2019, offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Kids Advantage Account
The primary aim of the account is to help build a corpus for the child for her future financial needs.
- The account is available for every child up to the age of 18 years
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 below which it charges service fees. The service fee is Rs. Rs. 150 in case the balance is between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 5,000, and Rs. 300 in case the balance is less than Rs. 2,500
- Minors above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account on their own
- HDFC Bank requires the parent or guardian to have a savings account with the bank before they can open a Kids Advantage Account
- The international ATM-cum-Debit card debit card comes with a Rs. 2,500 ATM withdrawal limit and Rs. 10,000 POS limit per day
- HDFC Bank also offers an education insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh for the child in case the parent or guardian passes away in a road, rail or air accident
- Its MoneyMaximizer option allows the accountholder to agree to a sweep-out option. Under this when the account reaches or crosses Rs. 35,000, any sum in excess of Rs. 25,000 is automatically transferred to a fixed deposit for 1 year and 1 day
- The accountholders get a free payable at par chequebook of 25 leaves at the time of account opening and every year thereafter
- The account comes with free net, phone and SMS banking facilities
- Indian Bank Website: www.indianbank.in and www.indianbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number (24 Hours): 1800 425 00 000, 1800 425 4422
- HDFC Bank Website: www.hdfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 3838