Indian Overseas Bank vs Federal Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children while Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank Limited
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199