Indian Overseas Bank vs IDBI Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children while IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070