Indian Overseas Bank vs Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children while Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Little Super Star Savings Account
Meant exclusively for kids in the 10-18 years age group, the account has been designed to habituate children to saving money.
- Accountholders can withdraw up to Rs. 5,000 per day through ATMs. Guardians are given the right to lower this amount up to Rs. 1,000 if she so deems fit. The POS limit is capped at Rs. 2,500
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank offers up to 10 complimentary ATM withdrawals and charges Rs. 10 for each withdrawal thereafter
- The maximum amount that can be put in the account or taken out per month is limited to Rs. 1 lakh
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 250. The bank limits the number of facilities it provides if this minimum balance is not maintained
- The ATM-debit card is offered free with the account
- Accountholders get complimentary personalised chequebook of 10 leaves every year
- One of the unique features of this account is that the bank has allowed both internet banking and mobile banking though the limit has been capped at Rs. 2,500
- The minor has to change the Little Super Star Savings Account into any of the standard accounts offered by the bank after she attains majority
- Kids with the account are allowed to be a part of the bank’s Happy Family Banking Account scheme if their other family members also bank with Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 0426