IndusInd Bank vs Jammu & Kashmir Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
IndusInd Bank offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account. Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and instead provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
Children’s Savings Accounts from IndusInd Bank
IndusInd Bank, originally a bank focussed on the non-resident Indian community, has now become one of the leading private sector banks in India. It offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account.
Indus Young Saver Account
The account helps parents get an optimal mix of savings and investment options for their children.
- Can be opened under the parent’s name as a guardian account or under the child’s name if she has crossed the 12 years age limit
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000, which can be waived off if it is linked to a privilege account of the parent or there is a recurring deposit of at least Rs. 2,500 every month
- Children with an Indus Young Saver Account get a personalised debit card if they are over 12 years of age
- Even the chequebook can have the child’s name
Children’s Savings Accounts from Jammu & Kashmir Bank
Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
General Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened by individuals singly or jointly, by HUFs and by minors aged 10 years or above. Even organisations approved by RBI can open an account.
- Accountholders who have a chequebook need to maintain Rs. 2,000 as average monthly balance while those without chequebooks only need to have Rs. 1,000 as average monthly balance
- Minors get their own ATM-debit card
- The bank offers up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every 6 months
- The international debit card comes with a limit of Rs. 40,000 for ATM withdrawals and Rs. 1 lakh for POS (card swipe) transactions
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank offers complimentary online and mobile banking facilities for the General Savings Account
- The bank offers a free chequebook of 20 leaves in a year. The number of leaves for senior citizens is 25
Deluxe Savings Account
This is a premium savings account offering from the bank and as with the general account can be opened by individuals, whether singly or jointly, by HUFs, by minors who are 10 years or above in age and by organisations approved by RBI to open a savings account.
- The account requires an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000
- As with the General account, the Deluxe account provides up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every six months
- The debit card comes with a slightly higher ATM withdrawal limit of Rs. 1 lakh and POS (card swipe) transaction limit of Rs. 1.5 lakh
- The Deluxe Savings Account comes with free online and mobile banking facilities
- As with the General Savings Account, the Deluxe account comes with a complimentary chequebook of 20 leaves every year for regular users and of 25 leaves for senior citizens
General Small Account
This account is a type of savings account created to bring the unbanked population into the fold of the banking sector. Literate minors above the age of 10 years can open the account.
- The bank only needs a deposit of Rs. 50 to open the account though
- The General Small Account has a maximum balance limit, however, of Rs. 50,000
- It also comes with a cap on the maximum amount that can be credited in a year. It currently stands at Rs. 1 lakh
- There is limit on number and amount of withdrawals and transfers each month (4 withdrawals and up to Rs. 10,000 in terms of amount)
- The bank offers a chequebook if one maintains a balance of Rs. 1,000 per month for at least 6 months
- IndusInd Bank Website: www.indusind.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860 500 5004, 1860 267 7777 (Credit Cards)
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank Website: www.jkbank.com
- Headquarters: Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- Call Centre Number: 1800 1800 234, 1800 1800 234 (E-Banking)