IndusInd Bank vs Lakshmi Vilas Bank
IndusInd Bank offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account. Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age, to whom it offers its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a parent or guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Children’s Savings Accounts from IndusInd Bank
IndusInd Bank, originally a bank focussed on the non-resident Indian community, has now become one of the leading private sector banks in India. It offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account.
Indus Young Saver Account
The account helps parents get an optimal mix of savings and investment options for their children.
- Can be opened under the parent’s name as a guardian account or under the child’s name if she has crossed the 12 years age limit
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000, which can be waived off if it is linked to a privilege account of the parent or there is a recurring deposit of at least Rs. 2,500 every month
- Children with an Indus Young Saver Account get a personalised debit card if they are over 12 years of age
- Even the chequebook can have the child’s name
Children’s Savings Accounts from Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age. It offers minors below that age its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Savings Youth Power
This account is designed for kids in the 12-24 years age group.
- The account comes with a minimum balance of Rs. 100
- There are no cash withdrawals at the home branch but at the same time, these withdrawals are not allowed at the non-home branches
- Cash remittances are free at the home branch for all amounts but not for amounts over Rs. 5,000 at non-home branch
- Demand draft or postal order charges are waived off for educational payments but are charged at standard rates for DDs made for other reasons
- The bank does not provide any chequebook for kids up to 17 years of age. The same age criteria exist for internet banking also. Mobile banking is free
- The Savings Youth Power Account, however, does offer an international debit card powered by Visa with a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 5,000 per day. The card is free for the first year and a fee of Rs. 100 is charged from the second year
Savings Bank 301
The primary savings account of the bank. The standard features of the account are listed below and are likely to be different for minor accounts. (We suggest readers interested in opening this account for their child to discuss the specifics with the bank.)
- It allows guardians to open accounts for minors below 12 years while kids above 12 years can open and operate the account under their own name
- The minimum deposit is Rs. 1,000 for rural, Rs. 3,000 for semi-urban and Rs. 5,000 for urban branches
- The Savings Bank 301 Account does not have any restrictions on deposit or withdrawals
- IndusInd Bank Website: www.indusind.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860 500 5004, 1860 267 7777 (Credit Cards)
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank Website: www.lvbank.com
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 2233