DBS Bank (earlier Lakshmi Vilas Bank) Children’s Savings Accounts
DBS Bank acquired Lakshmi Vilas Bank in 2020, and all operations now are undertaken under the DBS Bank brand. Though the Lakshmi Vilas Bank website still works, it will likely be redirected to a new DBS Bank website as soon as the new site is ready
Lakshmi Vilas Bank was set up in 1926 in the Karur region of Tamil Nadu (Karur Vysya Bank is another bank with origins from that region). The bank had a strong presence in South and Central India, and offers its customers various accounts. It does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age. It offers minors below that age its general savings account jointly with the parent. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age.
Help your child understand and master complex subjects like Maths, Science, Software Dev, Data Science and more with educators from MIT, Caltech, Cambridge, Carnegie Mellon and other top colleges
Super fun and easy interactive gamified platform. Courses Recommended by experts
FD Recommended: We have seen no better site in gamified teaching of science and math subjects.
Savings Youth Power
This account is designed for kids in the 12-24 years age group.
- The account comes with a minimum balance of Rs. 100
- There are no cash withdrawals at the home branch but at the same time, these withdrawals are not allowed at the non-home branches
- Cash remittances are free at the home branch for all amounts but not for amounts over Rs. 5,000 at non-home branch
- Demand draft or postal order charges are waived off for educational payments but are charged at standard rates for DDs made for other reasons
- The bank does not provide any chequebook for kids up to 17 years of age. The same age criteria exist for internet banking also. Mobile banking is free
- The Savings Youth Power Account, however, does offer an international debit card powered by Visa with a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 5,000 per day. The card is free for the first year and a fee of Rs. 100 is charged from the second year
Savings Bank 301 (now discontinued)
This was the primary savings account of the bank. The standard features of the account are listed below. (We suggest readers interested in opening a minor account for their child to discuss the specifics with DBS Bank first.)
- It allowed guardians to open accounts for minors below 12 years while kids above 12 years could open and operate the account under their own name
- The minimum deposit was Rs. 1,000 for rural, Rs. 3,000 for semi-urban and Rs. 5,000 for urban branches
- The Savings Bank 301 Account did not have any restrictions on deposit or withdrawals
Note: The new savings accounts from DBS Bank can be accessed here.
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank Website: lvbank.com
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 2233