Punjab National Bank vs IDBI Bank
Punjab National Bank offers dedicated accounts for kids such as PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account. IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Punjab National Bank
PNB is the second largest bank in India after SBI and offers specific accounts for children such as the PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account.
PNB Junior SF Account
The account can be opened by a child through her parent or guardian or she can open and operate it herself if she has crossed 10 years of age.
- As mentioned, any child of any age can open the PNB Junior SF Account through her parent or guardian. Children over 10 years of age can open and operate the account under their own name
- There is no minimum deposit needed to open the account. Plus, there is no need for any minimum balance either
- The child can get a free cheque book of 20 leaves per six months, i.e. two chequebooks of 40 leaves per year
- Demand drafts made out to pay school or college fees are free of cost
- The bank, however, has put a limit of Rs. 5,000 on debit card use per day, be that through ATM withdrawals, POS transactions at shops (card swipe in case you are wondering) or online payments
- Kids or their parents can have a view of the account balance and transactions through both online and mobiles but transactions are not allowed
PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
The account as the name suggests is for children studying in recognised educational institutions.
- The account is available for children up to 21 years of age. Once they reach adulthood, the account becomes a standard savings account with all its perks and limitations
- Like the PNB Junior SF Account, there are no minimum balance requirements for initial deposit and average quarterly balance in the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
- All demand drafts made out for any type of fees are free of cost
- Like the children’s account, the child is eligible to receive two chequebooks of 20 leaves each per year
- Most fees and charges in the account have been waived off by the bank through there is an annual maintenance charge for the debit card
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
- Punjab National Bank Website: www.pnbindia.in and www.netpnb.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Call Centre Number: 1800 180 2222, 1800 103 2222
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070