Punjab & Sind Bank vs Tamilnad Mercantile Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Punjab & Sind Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account while Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Punjab & Sind Bank
The bank does not offer any children centric savings account, though its website does say that student beneficiaries of Government schemes can open a Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account
This account as the name suggests is a basic savings account with some minimum levels of savings account services.
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- Students who are beneficiaries of Government schemes can open the account with an initial deposit of Rs.10 only
- Account holders can make up to four withdrawals in a month though there is no limit on the number of deposits
Savings Bank Account
Though it is not mentioned specifically, it is likely that the bank offers its savings account for minors also jointly with a parent or guardian.
- Has a minimum balance requirement of Rs. 500 for rural branches and urban ones that do not need a chequebook. Urban account holders who need chequebooks need to keep a minimum balance of Rs. 1,000
- Accountholders cannot make more than 50 withdrawals every half year
Children’s Savings Accounts from Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Little Super Star Savings Account
Meant exclusively for kids in the 10-18 years age group, the account has been designed to habituate children to saving money.
- Accountholders can withdraw up to Rs. 5,000 per day through ATMs. Guardians are given the right to lower this amount up to Rs. 1,000 if she so deems fit. The POS limit is capped at Rs. 2,500
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank offers up to 10 complimentary ATM withdrawals and charges Rs. 10 for each withdrawal thereafter
- The maximum amount that can be put in the account or taken out per month is limited to Rs. 1 lakh
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 250. The bank limits the number of facilities it provides if this minimum balance is not maintained
- The ATM-debit card is offered free with the account
- Accountholders get complimentary personalised chequebook of 10 leaves every year
- One of the unique features of this account is that the bank has allowed both internet banking and mobile banking though the limit has been capped at Rs. 2,500
- The minor has to change the Little Super Star Savings Account into any of the standard accounts offered by the bank after she attains majority
- Kids with the account are allowed to be a part of the bank’s Happy Family Banking Account scheme if their other family members also bank with Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Punjab & Sind Bank Website: www.psbindia.com
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 8300
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 0426