Ujjivan Small Finance Bank vs Kotak Mahindra Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank offers a dedicated kid’s savings account. Likewise, Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank offers a dedicated savings account for minors.
The account can be opened jointly with a parent or guardian.
- There is no minimum balance requirement on the account, and consequently no charges on non-maintenance of the said balance
- The account is operated by the parent or guardian until the child reaches the age of majority. The minor cannot operate the account independently
- Minor accountholders get a personalised RuPay Classic Debit Card on request once they cross the age of 10 years
- The Minor Account is converted into a regular savings account once the child reaches the age of maturity
- The bank offers a free SMS facility on the guardian’s or the accountholder’s registered mobile number
- Accountholders also get access to NEFT, RTGS and IMPS
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Website: www.ujjivansfb.in
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2121
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)