Union Bank of India vs Axis Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. Axis Bank offers an account called the Future Stars Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Axis Bank Limited
The third largest private sector bank in India, Axis Bank, offers a specific children’s account called Future Stars Savings Account. It also offered an account targeted at the youth called the YOUth Account but the bank has stopped opening these accounts (existing accounts will continue to work).
Future Stars Savings Account
An account meant for children up to 18 years of age.
- The initial account opening deposit and minimum monthly balance requirement are both Rs. 2,500 in metros. There is no monthly balance requirement if there is a fixed deposit of Rs. 25,000 for six months or a recurring deposit of Rs. 2,000 for a year
- Can be opened by a child on her own if she has crossed the age of 10 years. Otherwise, it needs to be operated by the parent or guardian
- The child gets four cheque books every year in her own name if she is over 10 years of age. In case she is younger than 10 years, the cheque book is in the name of the parent or guardian
- Accountholders get a Visa Classic Debit Card for an issuance fee of Rs. 200 and annual fee of Rs. 100. The fee is for metro and urban areas only
- The card comes with a personalised image of the child if she is above 10 years
- The bank offers a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 1,500 under the Future Stars Savings Account
- The first five transactions at an Axis Bank ATM and the first three or five (depending on whether metro or non-metro location) at non-Axis Bank ATMs are free
- The account comes with a personal accident cover of Rs. 2 lakh and liability from fraudulent transactions of up to Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points on various transactions such as opening an Axis Direct (trading) account, keeping Rs. 25,000 as minimum monthly balance and so on
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- Axis Bank Website: www.axisbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 5959,1800419 6969