Union Bank of India vs City Union Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. City Union Bank offers a dedicated savings account called Junior India for children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from City Union Bank Limited
Tamil Nadu-headquartered City Union Bank is the oldest private sector bank in the country having been established in 1904. It offers a dedicated savings account for children called Junior India. It also offers an account for young adults between the ages of 18 and 25 years called Young India.
The account can be opened for children with ages ranging from 1 day to 18 years
- The account is operated by the parent or guardian
- Children above the age of 12 years can undertake transactions at the bank or through ATMs on their own
- Account holders above 12 years also get access to internet banking (CUB Net) and mobile banking (CUB Mobile) facilities
- School and college fees can be made free of cost under the Junior India account
- Online transfer to other City Union Bank accounts through NEFT, RTGS or IMPS is free too
- The standard KYC documents and proofs are needed for both the child and the parent or guardian to open the account
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- City Union Bank Website: www.cityunionbank.com
- Headquarters: Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 044 7122 5000