Union Bank of India vs Karnataka Bank
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. Karnataka Bank offers a dedicated children’s account called KBL Kishore.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Karnataka Bank Limited
Karnataka Bank, one of the older banking institutions in the country, offers a dedicated children’s account called KBL Kishore.
The children’s account is available to kids over the age of 10 years and up to 18 years.
- The account comes without any minimum balance requirements
- The bank offers a free debit card with 24-hour cash withdrawal limit of Rs. 10,000 and POS limit of Rs. 5,000
- KBL Kishore allows parents or guardians to transfer up to Rs. 50,000 per month from their account to the child’s account
- The kids and their parents can keep a track of the account through the bank’s mobile app
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- Karnataka Bank Website: https://karnatakabank.com
- Headquarters: Mangaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1444