Union Bank of India vs Suryoday Small Finance Bank
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Suryoday Small Finance Bank Limited
Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account and offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account. All of the bank’s savings accounts can be opened by a minor under a parent or a guardian. We take a look at the two base variants of the bank’s savings account line-up.
The account is the most basic of the savings accounts offered by Suryoday.
- The average monthly balance requirement is Rs. 2,000, though anyone choosing to open an account has to start with an initial deposit of Rs. 3,000
- Accountholders can choose to keep a fixed deposit of Rs. 10,000 in lieu of the minimum balance
- The bank offers a higher rate of interest than most other banks for similar slabs of balance. Accounts with balance up to Rs. 1 lakh earn 6.25% per annum and those with balance between Rs. lakh and Rs. 10 lakh earn 7.25%. This is as of March 2019
- The Savings Ujjwal account comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The daily ATM and POS limits is restricted to Rs. 20,000
- Online money transfers such as RTGS, NEFT, IMPS are chargeable after 3 transactions
- The bank offers a personal accident insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh with the account
This savings account is ranked one step up the Savings Ujjwal.
- The account has a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 and needs Rs. 7,500 to open the account
- Accountholders can create and keep an FD of Rs. 25,000 if they want to forego the minimum balance requirements
- The Savings Aditya account also comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The limit on daily ATM and POS transaction is pegged at Rs. 40,000
- Accountholders get 10 free ATM transactions on the bank’s own ATMs and up to 5 on other bank ATMs
- The accountholder can access up to 10 free RTGS, NEFT or IMPS payment transfers
- Like with the Ujjwal account, the Aditya offers a higher rate of interest
Note: Suryoday in its savings account page/tabs for each account clearly mentions that all bank’s savings accounts from Ujjwal to Savings Supreme can be opened on behalf of a minor
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank Website: www.suryodaybank.com
- Headquarters: Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 266 7711