United Bank of India Children’s Savings Accounts
The third Kolkata headquartered bank in the list after Allahabad Bank and UCO Bank, United Bank offers a dedicated children’s account in addition to offering its savings account for children to operate by themselves once they have crossed 13 years of age.
United Children Savings Account
This account is meant for children above 10 years of age.
- The account has to be opened in the name of the minor. It cannot be opened as a joint account
- The child must have crossed 10 years of age and should be literate enough to operate the account under her own name
- United Bank only requires Rs. 50 as minimum initial and minimum balance required in the account
- The deposits have to be made through pay-in-slips used for standard savings bank accounts
- Once the minor reaches the age of majority, the United Children Savings Account is changed into a standard savings account
Savings Bank Account
If the parents or guardians want the child to have an account of her own before she reaches the age of 10 years, then they can open a standard savings account on their behalf.
- Once the child reaches the age of 13 years, she can operate the account on her own
- The minimum balance requirement in the account without the chequebook facility is Rs. 50 for rural branches and Rs. 100 for urban branches and Rs. 500 across all branches with chequebook facility
- The aforementioned minimum balance does not apply if the mother or a female guardian operates the savings bank account on behalf of the minor. In such cases, the minimum balance requirement is zero
- United Bank of India Website: unitedbankofindia.com
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 345 0345, 1800 103 3470