Vidya Shakti Education Loan Scheme
This loan helps PWD category students who want to attend special device courses in India pay their course fees and related expenses. The maximum loan amount that you can apply for is Rs. 7.5 lakh for degree courses and Rs. 1.5 lakh for vocational, diploma or certificate courses.
Features of Vidya Shakti Education Loan Scheme
Why this Loan?
- Meant to provide financial assistance to students with physical disability of 40% or more, to attend a special device course
- The bank disburses the Canara Bank Vidya Shakti Education Loan as a series of payments over the required number of terms or years to pay the course fees or other approved charges
- The maximum loan amount one can get is Rs. 7.5 lakh for degree courses and Rs. 1.5 lakh for vocational, certificate or diploma courses
- The bank offers loans over this limit under the IBA Model Education Loan scheme
- The rate of interest is equal to 1-year MCLR where MCLR is the Marginal Cost of Funds-Based Lending Rate. As of November 2020, the MCLR of Canara Bank is 7.35%
- The accrued interest during the moratorium period is added to the principal amount to arrive at the fixed Equated Monthly Instalment (EMI) that need to be paid during the repayment period
- The repayment moratorium is for the course duration and an additional grace period of 1 year but simple interest is charged for this moratorium period
- A loan of up to Rs. 7.5 lakh needs to be repaid in 15 years in equal monthly instalments (EMIs) after the moratorium ends
- A skill development loan has to be repaid in 3-7 years depending on the loan amount. The standard IBA model skill loan timeline is:
- Loans upto Rs. 50,000: 3 years after completion
- Loans of Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1 Lakh: 5 years
- Loans over Rs. 1 Lakh: 7 years
- This loan needs a co-obligation of parents
- No collateral security is required
- An assignment of future income of the student is also needed
- The borrower should be an Indian national
- Only students with physical disability to the extent of 40% or more can apply for this loan
- All accredited special device courses
Borrower Contribution to Total Cost (Margin Money)
- Loans Up to Rs. 4 lakh: The bank does not charge any margin money for loans of Rs. 4 lakh or less
- Loans Above Rs. 4 lakh: The bank charges 5% as margin money for loans above Rs. 4 lakh
- Scholarship or assistantship, if any, is also considered as margin
Note: Margin money refers to the amount the borrower contributes to the overall loan amount required by the borrower. So a margin money of 5% for a Rs. 10 lakh loan means that the borrower will have to contribute Rs. 50,000 to the overall amount needed for the course.
Processing and Other Charges
- There are no processing charges for this loan
Uses of the Loan
- The loan amount can be used to pay any fees or other expenses necessary to complete the course including the charges to cover any expenses on study tours, project works, thesis and so on
Other Features to Know
- The bank may ask for details of expenses for the course that the applicant(s) need to obtain from the institution
- The loan is disbursed directly to the college, bookseller or publisher, computer seller, and so on and not to the applicant(s)
- Application Form duly filled and signed by applicant and/or guarantor along with details of applicant and/or guarantor and family
- Two Passport Size Photographs of student, applicant and/or guarantor
- Photocopy of PAN Card of the student that needs to be submitted at the time of application or during the course period
- Personal Identification Proofs (Any One): Electoral I-Card, Passport, Driving License, PAN Card or Aadhaar Card
- Residential Address Proof (Any One): Electricity Bill, Landline Telephone Bill, Electoral or Voter ID Card or Passport
- Admission Letter, Course Details and Prospectus
- Fee Details with Demand of Fee by the Institution
- All Proofs of Past Academic Record including Mark Sheets and Certificates
- An Income Certificate from a Competent Authority to avail the interest subsidy under Central Interest Subsidy Scheme of Education Loans, if eligible
- Property or other security documents wherever applicable
- Documents to support disability claims
- Canara Bank Website: www.canarabank.com and www.canarabank.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 0018
IMPORTANT: Thousands of smart students and their parents lose lakhs of money every year by choosing a costlier education loan.
Apply for Education Loan Only After Finding the Best Education Loan Using Our Guide
India’s First Education Loans Guide – Now at Rs 49 ONLY (same price as soft drink)
Here is what the Guide offers:
- Coverage of All Education Loans from Top Public and Private Banks
- Compare interest rates for each loan, max. loan amount, max. unsecured loan amount, fees and charges, etc.
- Loan for regular studies in India, foreign studies, professional studies, aviation, shipping, PhDs, etc.
Find all-important details before you visit the branch using our Guide to Education Loans.
Don’t lose money on excess interest payments to banks. Click Here to Buy the Education Loan Guide.