Government of India Interest Subsidy Schemes for Education Loans
Axis Bank allows its education loan applicants to apply for interest rate subsidies under one government scheme, viz.
- Central Sector Interest Subsidy Scheme
We look at it in some detail.
Features of Central Sector Scheme of Interest Subsidy for Education Loans
Why this Scheme?
Under this scheme, the Central Government takes care of any interest component that arises during the moratorium phase of an education loan taken by economically weaker students. The moratorium usually comprises of the duration of the course and an additional time of 12 months after completion of the programme or 6 months after landing a job, whichever is earlier.
- The maximum loan amount provided without any collateral security and third-party guarantee under this education scheme is Rs. 7.5 lakh. For more details, check out the bank’s website for Central Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Education Loans
- The scheme is only available for economically weaker students who are pursuing technical or professional education studies in India. Economically weaker sections refer to families that earn a gross yearly income of Rs. 4.5 lakh or less
- The students will have to show an income proof from such public authorities as are authorised by the state governments for certification of income status for this scheme and other central and state sector schemes
- The scheme will be available to eligible students only once, either for their first undergraduate or post-graduate degree or diploma courses in the country. The subsidy shall also be applicable to integrated graduate and post-graduate courses
- The scheme will not apply to students who stop pursuing studies or are expelled from the institute
- The subsidy scheme will apply to courses from all accredited universities and institutions, and professional courses recognised by UGC, AICTE, etc.
- The Interest Subsidy Scheme on Education Loans will also apply to courses in Central Institutes of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, State Institutes of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Food Craft Institutes and Indian Institutes of Tourism and Travel Management that are administered by the Ministry of Tourism. Find the list of institutes on the Axis Bank website
- The interest rates charged on the educational loan apply as per the type of education loan scheme chosen
- Once the moratorium phase ends, the student will be liable to pay the interest on the outstanding loan amount in accordance with the provisions of the Educational Loan Scheme of Banks. The government of India will only bear the interest expenses arising during the moratorium period
Tags with Certificates
- The certificates of students who have availed the scheme will have a tag or a marker that indicate their repayment liabilities to future employers
Other Features to Know
- This is a comprehensive model educational loan scheme that was formulated by the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) for adoption by all scheduled banks and aims at providing financial support from the banking system to deserving or meritorious students to pursue higher education in the country or abroad
- The disbursement of interest subsidy claims to Axis Bank shall be on a semi-annual or annual basis, as decided by the Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India
- The nodal bank for the scheme is Canara Bank
Note: If a borrower is found to have availed the interest subsidy by submitting false documents then the subsidy will be withdrawn. The subsidy already paid will be recovered with penal interest. Criminal action will also be taken against the borrower as per law.
- Axis Bank Website: www.axisbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 18604195555, 1860 5005555
IMPORTANT: Thousands of smart students and their parents lose lakhs of money every year by choosing a costlier education loan.
Apply for Education Loan Only After Finding the Best Education Loan Using Our Guide
India’s First Education Loans Guide – Now at Rs 49 ONLY (same price as soft drink)
Here is what the Guide offers:
- Coverage of All Education Loans from Top Public and Private Banks
- Compare interest rates for each loan, max. loan amount, max. unsecured loan amount, fees and charges, etc.
- Loan for regular studies in India, foreign studies, professional studies, aviation, shipping, PhDs, etc.
Find all-important details before you visit the branch using our Guide to Education Loans.
Don’t lose money on excess interest payments to banks. Click Here to Buy the Education Loan Guide.