Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Skill Loan Scheme
This Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Skill Loan helps students who have gained admission into technical courses offered by training institutes, polytechnics, to pay for their course fees. The loan amount starts from Rs. 5,000 and can go up to Rs. 1.5 lakh depending on the duration of the course.
(Note: Details of this loan are not available on the bank’s website at the time of last update of this page)
Important! A reality check
While there is nothing wrong with a technical course, the jobs that become available after such courses (electrician, plumber, fitter, etc.) do not pay well – even in senior roles.
Alternatively, a career in computers and IT pays much better, with senior roles earning upwards of ₹25 lakh at the very least.
All you need to start learning is a laptop – even a second-hand one that costs less than ₹10k will do.
We have curated a list of low-cost courses that can be finished in 4-7 months and lead to rewarding careers.
More Courses >>
Features of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Skill Loan Scheme for Technical Courses
Why this Loan?
- This Tamilnad education loan is meant for you if you have gained admission into a technical course offered by a polytechnic, training institute (ITI), etc. in India
- The bank disburses the Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Skill Loan Scheme as a series of payments over the required number of terms or years to pay the course fees or other approved charges
- The minimum loan amount starts from Rs. 5,000 and the maximum amount can go up to Rs. 1.5 lakh depending on the duration of the course
- As of October 2020, the effective interest rate charged for this loan was 11.10%
- Loans of up to Rs. 50,000: Repayment period is up to 3 years after course completion
- Loans between Rs. 50,000 and 1 lakh: Repayment period is up to 5 years after course completion
- Loans above Rs. 1 lakh: Repayment period is up to 7 years after course completion
- The repayment moratorium for courses of less than 1 year is for the course duration and an additional grace period of 6 months after course is completed
- The repayment moratorium for courses of over 1 year duration is for the course duration and an additional grace period of 12 months after course is completed
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank does not ask for any collateral or third party guarantee for this loan. However, if the branch applies for credit guarantee against defaults with the National Credit Guarantee Trust Company (NCGTC), the borrower may have to pay guarantee fee in these cases
- The borrower should be an Indian national
- In case the student is a minor, the parents will have to sign the application and do the necessary paperwork. The bank will get the student to ratify the loan through a letter of acceptance of terms and conditions once she or he reaches the age of majority
- Students of courses offered by Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs), polytechnics, schools recognised for the same by the central or state education board or college affiliated to a recognised university are eligible for the loan
- Even students pursuing a certificate, diploma or degree course from training centres that are affiliated to professional skill augmentation bodies such as National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), sector skill councils, state skill missions, state skill corporations and who operate under the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) are eligible to apply for the loan
- The bank allows its State Level Bankers committee (SLBC) or State level Co-ordination Committee (SLCC) to add state-specific skill development courses that offer good employability opportunities for course students
Borrower Contribution to Total Cost (Margin Money)
- The bank charges10% of total loan amount as margin money on this loan
Note: Margin money refers to the amount the borrower contributes to the overall amount required. The bank covers the rest.
Processing and Other Charges
- There are no processing charges for this loan
Uses of the Loan
- The loan amount can be used to pay any fees or other charges that are a part of the standard tuition cost
- The loan can also be met to cover examination, library and laboratory fees
- It also covers any caution deposit fees
- It can also be used to buy books or equipment or instrument needed for the course
Other Features to Know
- The borrower can repay the loan from any time without having to pay any prepayment charges
- The student’s progress report has to be submitted with the bank at regular intervals
- The lending branch should be near the institute, study centre of the technology partner or the place of residence of the borrower
- The Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Skill Loan is disbursed directly to the college, book seller or publisher, computer seller, and so on and not to the applicant(s)
- Application Form duly filled and signed by applicant and/or parents along with details of applicant and/or parents
- Two Passport Size Photographs of applicant(s)
- Photocopy of PAN Cards of the student or parents that need to be submitted at the time of application or during the course period
- Personal Identification Proofs (Any One): Electoral I-Card, Passport, Driving License, PAN Card or Aadhaar Card
- Residential Address Proof (Any One): Electricity Bill, Landline Telephone Bill, Electoral or Voter ID Card or Passport
- Admission Letter, Course Details and Prospectus
- Fee Details with Demand of Fee by the Institution
- All Proofs of Past Academic Record including Mark Sheets and Certificates
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Customer Care Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 0426